*It's a blessing to have friends with connections! My friend Jamie spoke with one of the head nurses at the hospital where I will be delivering (they are neighbors and friends) and was told that the doctor I saw this morning is an idiot (not my words...hers!)! I feel bad saying that, but to be honest, after hearing from the nurse how common Group B Strep is and how much this doctor over dramatized things today makes me want her held accountable. I have literally been tied up in knots all day thinking the worst! Anyways, I'm still waiting for a call back from MY doctor, but at this point, am feeling much much better about things. *
I just got off the phone with my doctor (who I LOVE) and his exact words were ..."you have Group B Strep,...no big deal!". I made sure he knew how exxasperated I was with the doctor I saw this morning and I'm hoping that he will speak with her and made sure she is made aware of how she totally freaked me out by her strong wording and her over-dramatization - COMPLETELY uncalled for! He assured me that Lillie Anna is at no risk while in the womb and that treating me with iv antibiotics before she's delivered would ensure her safety and well being. Thank you Lord for good doctors who know what they're doing!
Group B Strep
You can click on the link above to read more about this bacteria. I found out today that I have tested positive for this bacteria 3 times during this pregancy...for some reason, I'm in my 31st week and am just now finding this out (actually, to the doctor's credit, I vaguely remember them telling me when I was around 14 weeks that I tested positive for Strep B but I had no idea what that meant). I also found out today that the bacteria level is very high, which is not good. There is nothing that can be done about this right now...they've already treated me with MEGA antibiotics (due to stomach issues) that they thought would knock the Strep out previously, however, it just keeps coming back with a vengeneance.
From what I understand, there is no risk to me (the mom), but there is a very serious risk to the baby during delivery (whether I do vaginal or cesearean). SO, I was told today that I would most likely need to be induced to ensure that I come in before I'm in active labor...this will give my body time to get a significant dosage of antibiotics to hopefully kill the bacteria before I deliver Lillie Anna. They also said that Lillie Anna would have to stay in the hospital for 48 hours for them to monitor and make sure she is not showing the early stages of having contracted the bacteria. I guess there is an "early phase" and a "late phase"..."early phase" shows itself within the first 48 hours..."late phase" can show itself within the first 7 days-3 months.
What has me most upset is that I think I heard the word -DIE- probably 10x during the course of my conversation with the doctor...she kept using it in reference to Lillie Anna...telling me the risks involved and how serious this is. The doctor I saw today was not my normal doctor, so I have no clue if she is overly-mellow dramatic, or if she's dead on...but I've put a call in to my doctor and am praying that he will put all my worries to rest and assure me that this isn't nearly as serious as she's made it out to be!
I have learned today that 1/3 of the women in the world will at one point or another carry this bacteria...which makes me feel better in knowing I'm definitely not the only person to experience this. BUT,...now I'm sitting here after reading info on the internet (BAD IDEA) and am wondering if Lillie Anna is at risk in the womb (I read in different articles that she is), and wondering if my sweet baby girl is going to be ok.
Have any of you ever been a carrier for this during pregnancy? If so, please let me know what your experience was like!!!!