Saturday, September 06, 2008

YMCA and Hide-n-Seek

(This is a pictue of the actual pool he had to swim across...it looks small on here but it really is very long!)

We spent the majority of the afternoon at the Barco Newton YMCA swim facility. The kids LOVE this place...but that is not the reason we went today. Shep decided that he was ready to go down the daunting slides...two double swirly water slides that are VERY tall and quite a bit intimidating to a four-year old (unfortunately you can't see the slides in this picture)! He told us he was ready...so we simply encouraged him to follow his instinct! Once we arrived, we were told by the life guard that he would have to take a swim-test and IF he passed, he could then go down the slides. So...with quite a bit of trepidation (literally...his lips were shaking as if he were freezing...BLESS HIS SWEET LIL' HEART!!!!), he dropped in to the Olympic sized pool to ready himself. He had to swim the entire length without any assistance. I stayed in the pool with him and acted like it was just a game...he was the cat...I was the mouse! He did BEAUTIFULLY! Next, it was one minute of treading water...once again...no problem there. Then he had to jump in feet first...to which I looked at the life guard and said -
"seriousely?...you don't think he can do that?!?!" Shep made our point by doing a huge cannon ball in his face. :) Needless to say - he did so good that Chad and I decided we might need to check in to the swim team...after speaking with one of the coaches for Fleming Island, we've decided to go on Monday and let him try it out. :) OH - and he did the water slides about 100x before we left today!

And, poor Rauly! She wanted to go down the slide so much that she asked if she could take a swim test too! I finally gave in and got in the adult portion of the pool and she SHOCKED me by swimming all on her own about 3/4 of the way by herself. A life guard saw her and told me that as far as they were concerned, she had actually passed that portion of the swim test...all she would have to do is tread water for 30 seconds. I didn't feel comfortable with her "passing the test" though simply because I feel like she's still too dependant. But, she really impressed me with her determined spirit!



The next pics are of Chad playing Hide-n-Seek with Shep and Rauly...he hid under Shepherd's bunk bed and the kids looked for about 5 minutes before I finally had to suggest they peek under the bed....they laughed SOOOOOO hard once they found him!

9 comments:

Clay and Natalie Freeman said...

Your kids are beautiful! So glad to have an update on you and your family!

Anonymous said...

way to go Shepherd! And Rauly! She is not going to be left behind that is for sure. How did Chad get under the bed anyway? I tried to crawl under ours to plug a lamp in...not pretty and I couldn't even move on my belly.

Melody said...

I'm cracking up at the Y's rules.... in order to go down the slide. I have heard some funny stories about The Y lately and their "pool rules".

I'm totally impressed Chad was able to get into that little space, and I'm assuming he got out ok or did you just leave him stuck in there? :-)

Gina Harmon said...

I'm so proud of little Shep! What a guy! Yes, I remember how his lips and actually his whole body trembled the first time he went down the slide at Big Cedar last summer! Then he went down it a 100times! And Rauly girl! She is something else too! They've both got such spunk and spirit! Wish I could have seen it. Take a picture of the slide next time you go so we can see it.

kristy said...

Wow, that is a huge accomplishment! Way to go, Shep!
I highly recommend the swim team--I loved it as a child/teen!

Kate said...

Good for Shep and Rauly!!! I'm so jealous--my kids always sit by the stairs or play in the kiddie pool. Next summer, I've GOT to get them into swimming lessons! Have fun at the pool!

Michael and Hannah said...

Where do y'all get these amazing YMCA's??? My friend that lives in Orlando looks like she's in Disney World when she posts pics of them at the Y! Our Y pool is indoors and hot and only has some old bleachers to sit on nearby. YUCK. The pics of Chad playing hide and seek are priceless!

Unknown said...

Way to go Shep! And Rauly, does he always hang with her brother? And how did Chad ge under that bed? I can't even get under ours and its tall than that!

Courtney said...

Hey! Sorry it's been so long since I've checked your blog! I haven't been online in over a week so I'm trying to play catch-up. Micah and I on on that band wagon, too. I felt exactly the same when McCain raised his arms. I looked at Micah and said, "He's gonna win!" Now, let's just pray he does! I'm glad you all are doing good!